these varied symptoms have a common cause: lack of dissolved oxygen in the lake or reservoir. Here's why . . .
Taste and Odor Issues
The most common symptom
of an unhealthy lake or reservoir, taste and odor problems can be the result of algae in the water.
wide variety of algae are responsible for taste and odor complaints. Some types, like blue-green algae, are dangerously toxic.
Algae growth can be due to excessive nutrient availability, lack of water movement or internal nutrient recycling due to a
lack of oxygen in the bottom water.
Manganese, Iron or
In a healthy lake or reservoir, manganese and other minerals are limited to the bottom
sediment. When there is a lack of oxygen in the water above the sediment, the element is chemically reduced to a soluble form
and enters the water column. Removing manganese in the treatment plant is normally done with hazardous, costly chemicals.
If not adequately removed in the treatment process, it can pose major problems to consumers when it comes in contact with
chlorine -- turning clothes in washing machines and water in swimming pools brown. Many of these issues
can be addressed by maintaining adequate oxygen levels in the reservoir. In addition, filter runs are increased, less treated
water is wasted during flushing and less sludge is created.
Fluctuating pH levels are the by-product of algae growth cycles. Reducing or eliminating
these problematic plants effectively minimizes pH and other chemical variations in the treatment plant, saving the time and
expense of constant monitoring and adjustment.
Periodic Fish Kills
many of the symptoms of an unhealthy lake or reservoir, widespread fish deaths can result directly from lack of dissolved
oxygen in the water, or from exposure and consumption of toxic algae.
Each of these
symptoms of insufficient dissolved oxygen can be eliminated or significantly reduced through use of our aeration technologies. Our engineers will help determine which oxygen diffusion systems will best meet the needs and
goals of your water resource.